When I was growing up weekday breakfasts were always routine affairs that consisted primarily of cereal. My mom taught Mathematics at a school a good 20 to 25 minute drive from our house so it was on the weekends that she would cook or bake and make breakfast a special meal. Decades later, I still firmly believe that weekends require special breakfasts. Sitting down to a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal just doesn’t cut it on Saturday and Sunday. Still somehow, last Sunday morning I found myself in a bit of a dilemma – the Boy wanted pancakes and we had no eggs in the house. I’ve never had good luck with vegan pancakes in the past, but I pulled my go-to vegan cookbook off the shelf and decided to find a new recipe to try. However, this recipe did not fail me. The pancakes were rich, chocolatey, fluffy, and pretty much everything I had dreamt that they could be.
“Mom these are delicious!” – The Boy
Not only did the boy devour two giant six-inch pancakes Sunday morning, but he had another two for breakfast on Monday morning. They are simply that good!
- 2 cups (250 g) plain/all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (27 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate
- 1 & ½ cups (355 mL) non-dairy milk - I used unsweetened almond milk!
- ½ cup (120 mL) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- ½ cup (88 g) non-dairy chocolate chips
- ½ cup (115 mL) additional non-dairy milk
- Oil spray - If not using a non-stick pan
- In a large bowl or batter bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda/bicarbonate. You may want to sift them to stop the cocoa powder from clumping.
- In a measuring jug mix 1 & ½ cups (355 mL) of the non-dairy milk with all the oil and sugar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until lump free. If the mixture seems too thick add non-dairy milk until it is pourable.
- Fold in the non-dairy chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a hot non-stick skillet ½ cup (or ladle full) at a time. Wait for the edges to begin to lift from the pan and the top to be nice and bubbly before flipping and cooking for an additional minute.
- Enjoy hot or cold! They’re sensational with strawberry or cherry jam!