Yes, you read correctly – Vegan Carrot Cake
Back in the day, when I was a full-time stay-at-home Mom, I used to bake cakes and other treats quite regularly. Once I became I student my baking life became irregular. It didn’t come to a screeching halt until Hubby decided to become vegan, and I stopped baking because without him eating half of whatever I created I needed to cut back for the sake of my waistline.
So my adventures in the world of vegan baking have begun. I’ve taken on what used to be my ‘go to’ carrot cake recipe and turned it vegan with just a few modifications. I have to state that I don’t miss the eggs or the oil that I cut out of the recipe one bit. This would also be brilliant for children with egg allergies. If give the recipe a try, please let me know what you think.
- 80ml vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 180 g apple puree (unsweetened apple sauce)
- 300g carrot (freshly grated or shredded)
- 100g sultanas (or raisins)
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 90g whole wheat flour
- 45 g plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 45oz porridge oats (quick cooking oats)
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine oil, apple puree and soft brown sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in grated carrots and sultanas. Then set aside.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a separate bowl and stir to mix.
- Carefully pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Pour into either a greased loaf or a small glass pan. Use spatula to smooth surface.
- Bake in oven at 150 C (300 F) for 75 minutes. Then remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!